View Single Post
      03-25-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
OK, I just came up with the idea of this topic when I had to drive my GF's car to drop it off for maintenance and quickly realized a few quirks. It's hard to summarize it in a few words, but thinking of the last time you swapped cars, whether it's a 2nd frequently driven car (SO's, company car, etc.) or another one that you just drive once in a while...
  • What are some things that have become "muscle memory" in your car, but you'd reach for it and it's something completely different or nonexistent?
  • What is something that you like on your Bimmer that other cars don't that makes adapting to the car... Interesting (and vice versa)?

My car vs. '97 Acura CL:
* Trying to change channels on her car but wound up honking the horn
* Pushing an imaginary button on the dash to start her car (I was still waking up; her car has the traditional toothed key but she put it in the ignition for me so that threw me off more easily )
* Going back to my old car... Despite being on opposite ends of the steering wheel and being 2 years since I've driven that car, the directions to push/pull the cruise control switch for various functions (e.g. up and down is "Res/Accel" and "Set/Decel" in Toyotas, while it's "off" on the E90... Took me a MONTH just to unlearn that!)
* The fact that everything is so dim, from the fact that there's only a single dim "nightlight" in the roof vs. my car's 2 domes, 2 footwells, 2 puddle lamps and an LED array on each door handle when you open the door, all the way to the non-directional halogen vs. my automatic HIDs.

What other quirks do you guys have? Yes, even the imaginary clutch story going from manual to auto would work.
Oh I have one!

I had only driven manuals back home as my car, tough I had a few hundred miles handling the evil option also. Here after 14 hour flight I was behind a wheel of an automatic something awful. It was something like 2am, and I know men are allowed to drive too, but none of our family wants to let my husband drive even out of the garage, and the first hundred or so turns, stops, well everything, I slammed the brakes on.

Well, it was more like five, but i ended up finishing the drive with a foot in the door (dodge build quality+ american sized pockets in the car), I Nearly crashed twice. And the there were no stick! When I went to test drive the BMW's, the dealer ended up holding my hand always. That would have been flattering, but I think he was freaked by my trying to find the stick all the time.

Cuddly (the dealer, or that's what I call him nowadays) If your reading this, I'm so telling everyone you were coming on to me, it's better for my ego!

Last edited by Lups; 03-25-2014 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: I had a long week, and apparently I really do not read rwhat I've written before pressing send. Sorry guys about my Enlish.
Appreciate 0