tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdude5150 View Post

Hows your diet Tony?
Most of the time, very good. It's best when I'm home in DC or in Tokyo. At home because I'm fully in control of what I eat and I know the chefs at the restaurants where I eat out. Tokyo because everything I want to eat when I'm there is healthy. When I'm in London, Shenzhen, Paris or any number of US cities, it varies from okay to good, depending on the circumstances.

Breakfast - nearly always the same regardless of where I am:
  • Oatmeal with dried or fresh fruit, and brown sugar.
  • Protein -- ideally steamed, microwaved or poached fish

Snack during my a.m. workout - Cliff bar or a candy bar right before weight lifting and Vitamin Water or just water through the whole workout period.

Post work-out meal - depends on where I am but I always have a banana and something else that's heavy on the protein:
  • Chipotle burrito bowl - black beans, double chicken, corn salsa, tomato salsa, lemon juice and nothing else (this is by far my favorite thing to have at this meal)
  • Protein shake -- MetRx chocolate is the only one I've tried except for the ones they make at a health food store in L.A. I don't recall the name of it, but it's next door to the L.A. Fitness on Santa Monica Blvd. That place made/makes (?) awesome protein shakes in a ton of flavors and with great fresh fruit. You can pick something from their menu or design your own. I discovered that place when I worked a project in L.A. for 15 months and had a corporate apartment in the West Hollywood Hills. If that location is convenient for you, I highly recommend their shakes.
  • Fish/seafood, chicken, turkey, or lean pork steamed, poached, broiled, grilled, or baked.
Lunch - this one is a toss up when I'm on the road. It depends on whether lunch is a working lunch or just functional nutrition. Working lunches I sort of have to figure out something based on whats on the menu and as the chef to modify something for me or just do something very simple with an ingredient that's on his menu. My ability to do that though depends on how long my colleagues and I are planning for lunch and whatnot. Otherwise it's whatever I come by that's healthy or, if my hotel room has a kitchenette, it'll be something I bring to the office. For my bag lunches the most common things are:
  • PB&J sandwiches (2, maybe 2.5 or 3. I always make/take 3 if I'm having them that day)
  • Fresh fish that I'll microwave in the office
  • Raw veggies -- I like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, and peas best
  • Fresh fruit -- what ever is ripe and in season at the time. Only fruit I never include is tomato
  • Something left over from the prior night's dinner if I cooked in the room. Most often this will be some sort of whole wheat pasta dish that's good hot or cold.

Mid-afternoon meal/snack - Mid-afternoon is something of a misnomer because roughly an hour after lunch I start "grazing." My typical choices are:
  • Nuts - any kind except cashews
  • fresh fruit
  • spinach salads with balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil
  • raw veggies
  • What's left of lunch's PB&J

Dinner - works more or less the same as lunch. If I'm going to be indulgent, this is the meal where it happens. I really do love food and I'm a fair cook. If I'm just having dinner alone or with my staff, I can keep on my regimen. If I'm dining out with peers and clients, I tend to just go with the flow. I make less of a fuss about having a chef do something special for me when I'm out of town in such a situation. In DC, if I'm committed to keeping on track, I put in my request with the chef when I make the reservation. For dessert, I always have sorbet, fresh fruit or, occasionally, creme brulee.

Remaining food consumption - I pretty much graze my way through the rest of the evening until I go to bed. This food is basically the same thing I mentioned above about grazing. It's not a lot of food; just nibbling.

Fluids - I mostly drink water all day and with most meals (as close as I can get to 64 oz.). I'll have wine with dinner. I like wine. A few times a year, I'll have a Scotch on the rocks. I can tell you when I was last seriously drunk: I was a first year college student and it was during the Fall rush. (There's a story there, but that'll have to be another post.)

That's my regular approach to eating. Of course there are times when I just say "f*ck that sh*t, I'm eating what I please." I can tell you now when most of those times are:
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas dinner and some holiday parties
  • New Year's dinner
  • Easter
  • Memorial Day - summer season opening backyard beach party
  • July 4th Cookout
  • Labor day - summer season closing backyard beach party
  • Family member birthdays, including mine
  • Anytime Mother actually cooks and I end up being in her house at dinner time (this happens only 2 or 3 times a year) -- I try to time my comings and goings to miss dinner when she's of a mind to cook. She cooks Paula Dean style. It's delicious and there's no shortage of food, but it's not on the diet plan.
My diet plan is the same one my trainer got me started on over a decade ago. When I first engaged him, our very first session together began with him explaining food and how the body uses it to me. He also explained to me what he thought was the right mix of fat, protein, and carbs given my fitness goals. (I only had one goal: I told him I want to look awesome in my birth-day suit and that I could not care less about actually being healthy, strong, or being able to do some sporting activity better than anyone else.)

We then took a trip to the grocery store. There taught me how to read and use the information on food labels so that I would know how to shop for food and so I'd know what I should or shouldn't eat at any given meal. Then he gave me a packet of materials containing lists of food ingredients and their caloric, fat, protein and nutritional value. He taught me about high and low value foods. Lastly, he showed me how to compose a daily meal diary.

For the first three months, we reviewed my diary every week and he would give me pointers and tips about what was good, what was working, what wasn't, and so on. I don't keep a diary these days because I learned the lessons I needed to from having done it for months on end years ago. Assuming you know what you're doing with it, it works as a tool.

My diet works for what I need it to do. I eat food I like eating and that tastes good to me. I eat an assortment of items from the major food groups, though dairy may be slightly under represented. I eat food that fits my activity level. I eat food that keeps the inner tube off my waistline. And yes, I look really good naked. (Not that I think you care, but that was the goal, so...) There's a TV commercial that has some middle aged doctor promoting some sort of supplement for men. He looks sort of Mediterranean, has tawny skin and salt and pepper hair. I'm not as bulky and large framed as he appears to be, but my body is pretty much the same except that at varying points in the year, my six pack becomes a four-pack. I'm 6'0" tall, 190 lbs this a.m. and have a 31" waist.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0