BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
It is interesting to me how some people view this so differently.

I see it as a design fault.

You don't see it that way.

Why do we see this so differently?
There are literally thousands of analogies.

According to you, Smartphones kill people as a text came in while moving - had nothing to do with someone illegally reading it while driving.
Really? I said that?

Look, if we lived in a land of ignorance, and the cell phone companies knew how dangerous it was to text and drive and we had no idea that texting and driving was dangerous, but the cell phone companies touted how safe and wonderful their phones were to use while driving then I hope you would agree the cell phone companies would have some culpability, right?

Good, now we agree on that.

Now, if, over the course of 15 years, BMW had reason to know that children or disabled adults could be trapped, or have been trapped inside the car due to the flawed design of the central locking system, then I think you would agree that BMW would be culpable to some degree.

Great, now we agree on that too.

So, finally, as I have said numerous times here, I refer to the "BMW car" as having caused the problem because I don't know if BMW corporate was aware of this problem. I have good reason to believe that BMW knew or should have known as a result of their near black box warning that appears in the manual.

Nevertheless, while I don't know if BMW is culpable to any degree, I do know that being trapped in a car with older and possibly newer central locking designs was reasonably foreseeable.

For that reason, I blame the car and not BMW. Should evidence surface that BMW understood the dangers, then I would blame BMW directly.
Appreciate 0