View Single Post
      03-27-2024, 07:28 PM   #8
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

The author did some pretty good trolling, I must say. I LOLed at the Freud reference, even though it’s a bit hackneyed.

Most of my cars were MT. Until recently, I made that choice as much because they were superior in almost every way to the AT for those cars, other than convenience. The MT car was faster, got better gas mileage, was more durable, was often smoother (driver dependent), and cost less.

The reality is that ATs are now the better choice in most ways other than nostalgic fun. I recently considered buying a Golf R. Had I done so, I honestly wasn’t sure if I would get the MT since it’s the last year of availability, or the DCT since it’s faster, smoother, thriftier, and (I think) less expensive. It also generates fewer emissions—every little bit helps.

My last two cars have been AT perforce.

Electric cars are, in all likelihood, going to supplant ICE cars, unless some other technology comes along.

But the author is correct about at least one thing in particular:

“But for those aficionados who really can’t go without a clutch and gear shifter, Toyota is planning a realistic-feeling fake manual transmission for some EV models.”

That is indeed ridiculous.