View Single Post
      04-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #134
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
If there is no performance benefit keeping the cylinder count up but the capacity the same then it's more logical to go with the least weight and that's the least amount of cylinders.
Performance is not the only to consider though footie. Cost of development is also a major factor (among other things). I don't think there is much to argue there - developing an entire new V6, with many unique parts, even if based on the V8 is going to cost a lot more than just destroking the existing V8. My point above was, why not instead put that money into making the existing engines lighter since it will benefit the entire lineup including the upcoming M5. As I said, investigating magnesium alloy for the turbo motors would seem be a great place to sink R&D. Another good place to sink R&D is making chassis and body panels lighter.

And remember, BMW has had < 4L V8s for years. These include the 3.0L M60, the 3.5L M62, and the 3.6L N62. In fact, the N63 is the first one in four generations that only comes in one displacement. So, I don't see why they should stop the trend here.

Quote:
Another thing, a Vee engine is much shorter than an in-line so this will also allow for better packaging inside the engine bay, allowing it to move futher back thus improving it's natural weight balance of the chassis and allow for less use of exotic materials to achieve the idea weight balance.
Agree. But this applies to every single BMW made so it is arbitrary to apply that logic only to the M3. BMW has been building cars with inline six and 50% weight distribution for decades.
Appreciate 0