Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
Yes it nailed the focus. Too bad it's a bit blown out under the wings. White birds are always an exposure challenge.

I use Case 1 with single point expanded. I've been having pretty good luck without changing anything, and I am kind of afraid of mucking it up. The big Tamron works far better on this body than any of my others. It's still not my first choice for BIF, but the kite obliged by hovering in place!

I found another kite last night at dusk and shot it at 3200 ISO with the same lens. I haven't had time to mess with those files yet. I wish Adobe would release their LR update, as I'm not a big fan of DPP.
I suspect it'll be several weeks before we get out LR and DxO updates. I know some people that get excellent results with DPP, but it's slow and I don't want to learn another software.

I've been working on trying AF on birds flying straight at me. That's about the hardest thing that you can ask a camera to do, but I felt like I was missing too many.

I sat in my car at the top of a ridge where seagulls fly from the lake, on their way to a dump or something. Anyway, one after another flies straight at me and gives me a chance to practice my aiming and see if the camera can keep up. I finally customized Case 3, with Tracking sensitivity at 0, Accel/decal tracking at +2 and AF point switching at +2. Shooting the bare lens, I started getting pretty good consistency. Here's my favorite shot from the training and settings session:

Untitled by dcstep, on Flickr