08-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
I don't mind stinky tofu, but I guess it fits my palate since i'm Chinese. it has an intense earthiness that you need to balance with a sweet sauce. Not my favorite thing in the world, but i'll eat it.

theres also tofu cheese which isn't as pungent, but tastes really great when stir fried with water spinach
Yep...I know plenty of Chinese who like it. I think that may well be a requirement. I don't even want it around in the vicinity before, during or even shortly after eating.

Cheeses, and butter especially, is hard to come by in the PRC, or at least in Shenzhen's high end restaurants (non-Western, of course). I once asked for butter and got cheese, and the cheese was tasty on the food, but I wanted butter. I just gave up because at the time my pinyin/Chinese wasn't good enough, I had no dictionary with me and my Chinese companion had no idea of what I was talking about either. So cheese was the condiment that day.

I don't know why that is. I guess I get that butter from cows' milk needs cows and cows need a lot of space compared to pigs, goats, sheep, ducks, chickens, rabbits, fish, etc. that comprise the menagerie of critters commonly found on Chinese menus. Do you know if Chinese are keen on goat's milk butter? It can have a musky taste. I know why nearly nobody makes butter from sheep's milk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0