View Single Post
      02-02-2024, 05:10 PM   #23
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
It'd help if most every manufacturer didn't set their cars up to be 4x4 height and understeer like pigs. If the suspension came correct from the factory it'd be easy to select tires, but since it doesn't, and most everyone's first priority is to rid themselves of that front gap, any mods become a bad band-aid, including reasonable tire choices. To do it right is to consider the application, then the correct suspension/settings, then everything else, it just doesn't end up getting done that way by most users.
I agree. Unfortunately BMW stopped catering to enthusiasts with the ‘95 e36 M3. Starting with the ‘96 e36 M3, BMW switched to a 225/245 tire setup whereas the ‘95 had 235 square. The e36 M3 also had a reasonable wheel gap. Each generation after the e36, the front tire-to-fender gap has increased. Part of that gap is so countries that require winter chains don’t destroy the front fender when turning. However, I feel BMW has done a good job with the overall tuning of M cars. The M3/M4 is one of only a handful of reasonably price performance cars that can be driven on the track with just a brake pad swap. Can the M3/M4 made to perform better on track? Absolutely. Unfortunately, BMW can’t build a car that pleases 100% of buyers 100% of the time. Until the G8x was released, I couldn’t wait to see what BMW released next. Do I modify them to increase their performance on track? Yes. Why? Because it’s a solid foundation to build on.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic14020.00