View Single Post
      09-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #86
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

As ridiculous as I think speed laws are, especially on the interstates, you can never fault an officer for doing his/her job. I've found that if you're respectful and honest regarding your violation, you will make things A LOT better for yourself. Case in point, about a year ago I got nailed doing 118mph in a 60mph zone at 3AM in the morning. There was absolutely zero traffic on the road, nowhere to be found, so I opened up my 135i COBB Stage 2+ for just a few seconds while I was cruising at around 80mph. In no quicker than those couple seconds, I saw bright red and blue lights about 1/8 mile ahead of me. The officer had pulled off into the grass of the Highway, behind some bushes. He left himself just enough clearance to be able to shoot the laser. I slammed on the brakes, and pulled in behind him so that he wouldn't even have to get into his car.

Long story short, I defused an absolutely furious officer with honesty and apologies. When he asked me how fast I was going, I told him around 120mph, and that it was entirely intentional as I wanted to see how quick my car could climb through the gears due to being no traffic around. I went from being told I was arrested/wreckless endangerment/car impounded, to being let off with a ticket doing 99mph in a 60mph zone. I was even able to get out of going to court (as there was no way in hell I wanted to go before a judge even with that mph over), and got it all to go away for $775.

Needless to say, this scared the outright hell out of me, and I haven't gone 10mph over the speed limit anywhere since. What I did was insanely stupid, even with no traffic or people around, and to get off as lucky as I did was a serious wake up call. I hadn't had a speeding ticket before this one in over 10 years, and the officer basically told me the only reason he went as lenient as he did was due to my spotless driving record.

Morale of the story, understand officers are only doing their jobs and enforcing the law. You're only going to make things worse for yourself if you cop an attitude or lie to them. These folks have heard every story before, and you're only going to come off as a complete shit human being if you lie to them.

Oh, and other morale of the story, don't do 58mph over the posted speed limit. Good grief.
Appreciate 0