01-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #90
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
When is an //M engine an //M engine in your book?
Why is the S62 questionable? Because it doesn't rev high enough? The stock E30 M3 engine only reached 7000rpm as well. Just like a N54/55....

I never stated the N54 is an //M engine in the first place, it's a better engine than many of the //M engines for sure, but not an //M engine, agreed. I stated that the 1M is a true 'M'. 100%.

But to each their own. I'd choose the 1M in a heartbeat vs the Z4M, because it's not only faster on a track/bends, but in a straight line as well. What's the fuzz? I don't care about //M engine or not. The engine does its work very very well. THAT's what counts. It's the whole package. And the thrills/experience of it.

Cheers
Robin
I don't think either of you have any sort of authority in deciding what is an M car and what isn't that... that's for BMW and the M Group to decide. The company's priorities have shifted over time so their cars have evolved as well but saying that some of the vehicles they created aren't true M cars is completely absurd. They define what an M car is... no one here, you're the consumer.