View Single Post
      06-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #38
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Great idea and concept but i'm not sure that BMW has much to benefit from collaborating with Toyota on a car like this.

Engine: Inline-6- most likely BMW's own as Toyota stopped building I-6's more than a decade ago. Unless they are deciding to stick a V6 in there for the purposes of compactness/space-efficiency then maybe that's where Toyota comes in, but it isn't a deal breaker for a car like this. Electric motor- BMW has already shown its capabilities through its "i" cars.
Chassis/Layout: TBD but BMW manufactures carbon fiber in house, and from the looks of the i8 and its recent portfolio, BMW has no problem creating an agile & capable chassis, be it MR or FR.
Transmission: DCT- nothing new here & although Toyota does make its own transmissions (via Aisin), BMW has been using Getrag DCTs and ZF 8ATs quite successfully in its recent lineup so unless Aisin/Toyota has something more to offer here, i don't see where BMW can benefit.
Brakes: Again, not rocket science here
Active Aero: Here is probably the only thing that might benefit from a collaboration. Although i'm still skeptical about its implementation post-concept but it is possible as the trend towards MPG & efficiency becomes increasingly defined. Perhaps Toyota knows something BMW doesn't and vice versa here

From the looks of the potential specs, BMW can easily just drop an inline-6 into a chassis based on the i8 platform and have the wanted results sans active aero. So at this point, i'm really questioning what Toyota has to bring to the table.
Good point - goes back to the "why isn't there an Mi8 question" to which the answer was i and M are different ends of the spectrum/philosophy/alphabet blah.

Seems daft that a bespoke carbon chassis developed by BMW isn't utilised further, maybe the chassis developed cannot handle 600 plus BHP?
Appreciate 0