View Single Post
      11-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #68
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
Interesting you mentioned that. Here is a quick, small list of cars I would own over Audi, (not including the R8 E-Tron), and Mercedes (less perhaps the S400 Hybrid for efficiency and immense comfort).
First some obvious choices; Porsche 918 Spyder, La Ferrari, and McLaren P1... And the key, not so life savings depleting; Tesla S.
BMW isn't following Audi or Mercedes, so it's quite obvious, although the vehicles I mentioned are all completely different, and have slightly different target markets, they are all successful. And and the Tesla S clearly shows the potential, as well as the fact there is a market for luxury electrics (and improved hybrids) regardless if it was created out of political motives, (at least it does have some social responsibility charging its purpose). BMW is in a terrific position, having launched what is as close to a 911/R8 fighter as we have seen in recent years. What better way to do it, than by utilizing a relatively new technology to implement it. And had the i8 failed miserably, it could simply be chalked up to technology too new, or the application was inappropriate, or whatever they wanted to say really. It is much easier to write off a unsuccessful project from a new division, ( i ), than had it have been the M division held accountable. That is one reputation no one wants to be responsible for tarnishing.
Now because it is/was successful, I see no reason why placing a TwinTurbo 6 (or better yet 8) in there, with all the carbon fiber and sprinkle on a little M sauce, could be a bad thing?
What BMW is close to a 911/R8 fighter? The i8? LOL It has gotten embarrassed by entry level 991/S is every comparo and on the track, forget it, it was made a mockery of. And thats not even comparing it to more top range 911s, those are simply entry level. Flat out, its not even close.

Then again, you're comparing a hybrid tech to the most iconic sports car ever built, and the compares show that. But once the 911 hybrid is launched, its going to get embarrassed even more but by similar tech. Sorry, but IMO the i8 is a failure, particularly in the design.

And then to put the i8 in the same vain to similar cars, the 918, P1, it absolutely doesn't come close by any stretch.

By the time BMW comes out with their so called 'super car' in however many year, it won't even be able to match the top marques that are on sale today, let alone what they will be doing by that time.
Appreciate 0