Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Actually, yes. I don't know if your comment was meant as a joke, but the reality is, they will be interested in no vehicle and use ride-sharing services or they will be interested in autonomous vehicles. Those autonomous vehicles will look a lot like the living room on wheel concepts we have seen. Perhaps we are 10 years out from that? Maybe 5?
No, I was serious. And the current C-19 economic effects may accelerate this. Gen Z is going to be hammered for many years to come. Research says that low starting salaries propagate for many years afterwards. My two cars are sitting, but costing me money. it's a cost that Gen Z may be unwilling (or unable) to pay. Ride sharing when you need it is a lot cheaper than car ownership, particularly when you don't have a job to commute to or are teleworking. Were there people that treasured their horse-drawn Phaetons after the Model T proliferated? We car buffs could be an endangered species in 20 years.
There is a big lesson that society is learning relating to ride sharing (and mass transit). That is there are clear health benefits to NOT sharing spaces/vehicles with who knows whom. I sure as hell know nobody that just landed from an international flight at JFK has been in my car, but I have no idea if that's the case in my shared riding experience. There is a lot to be said for owning your own vehicle.💡