05-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #69
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarq View Post
Long term dieting at caloric intake below BMR (which is what you are doing) will potentially set you up for metabolic problems in the long run. Dieting isn't a sprint, it is a marathon. Slow and steady wins the race...

Deficits of 5-10% of TDEE are considered on the high end and you are well above that...

If you keep this large deficit up, I can almost guarantee that your 2lb/week stops at some point and you will think that you need to drop calories even lower and then lower and then lower...
Actually it's happened many times since I've started (I've been at it 8 months so far and I'm far from done). My goal has been 2lbs per week but I cannot say I have achieved that at all times. From around Jan to now it has been slow going maybe a total of around 5lbs in those 3 months. I have started again counting much more accurately and I'm on a 2lbs per week pace again. It will stop, as it has before, and usually I will losen up on the calories. Sometimes even eating a bit more loose for a week or so and starting back up will break me through that plateau.

Even when I've stopped counting for a while I've managed not to gain any real weight back which is my ultimate goal. Counting the calories has made me conscious of what I am eating. Even when I'm not counting I now make better decisions about what I'm eating based on my experience counting calories.

However I guess we will ultimately find out in a year or two.
Appreciate 0