Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by late apex View Post
Problem is enthusiasts often forget that they only make up a very small percentage of any manufacturer's overall sales. The masses do not want a stripped down & loud car lacking many of today's luxury features. They don't care as much about handling since they aren't taking cars to tracks and they don't drive out of their way to find a twisty road. All they want is the badge, comfort, and something to show off. I think most manufacturers are doing the best they can to cater to everyone, but I understand the problems they face.

When I was at my local dealer purchasing my M6 the dealer commented that is was refreshing to actually meet a car enthusiast buying an M car. He said the vast majority of customers that come in for an M car don't know the first about driving nor do they care. The car could weigh 5,000 lbs and have the handling of a school bus...most buyers are simply after the badge. Enthusiast on car forums complaining are what... 3% or 4% of sales?
I don't forget that I'm part of a small sales group. I just realize that BMW doesn't make anything that targets me anymore. The used to, but they've shifted to targeting non enthusiasts, and the product has followed (as have increased sales, since there's more of them).

In 2002, I wanted to own every car that BMW made. Today.... I want to own every car BMW made in 2002.

Today, the F30 3 series has worse driving dynamics than the competing Lexus or Cadillac. That statement would have been so absurd in 2002 that you would have instantly lost credibility for anything else you said.

BMW built their brand on appealing to enthusiasts (the 2002 and tii were what established them in the USA, and were the first sport sedans), and at this point have 100% forsaken us. It's certainly good for their short term sales, but I do wonder how it will effect them long term. The exact non enthusiast they're targeting buy them over Mercedes/Audis precisely because of their "ultimate driving machine" reputation. At some point, that will no longer be what they're known for... and then they're just a worse Mercedes.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0