12-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #261
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
I read a review (can't find it for the life of me right now) where it said there is actually a decent amount of room between the top of the engine and the hood, approximately 4 inches or so.

If you look at this picture, you can see the engine cover that says "D4-S Boxer" on it doesn't even appear to clear the shock towers. Then when you see how much more space there is above those by looking at the fenders, it seems like they can fit a TMIC if they wanted to:

I see that but.. show me a TMIC system that could fit in there. You're forgetting about all the auxiliary hardware. Subaru TMIC applications are extremely bulky in the past.. you'd have to do a ton of optimization (not saying that's impossible, just, highly unusual for Subaru).

Not only do we need to fit (a very thin) TMIC in there, we have to fit all the necessary connecting hardware, not to mention the bulky turbo inlet tube. If it does happen I will be extremely impressed (but ultimately worried about cooling).

Thinking about it now, I agree with many of the other posters here saying that a S/C would be the way to go. A turbo would be pretty silly on a car that's main focus is on track handling. Turbo would just introduce lag and heat soak. Though, I doubt we will ever see a S/C if this car is to go FI. Simply due to emissions and fuel consumption. This is still a (generally uninspired) mainstream manufacturer we are talking about here.