07-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #52
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
Based on what my tech buddy says, the viscosity of the oil is usually ok, it's just the volume of oil that is the issue. Our cars drink oil a lot, especially if the break-in period is not done correctly. He sees many cars coming in quarts low...his words
I believe it, but the car will tell you when it needs a quart added. I'm more pissed off that BMW stopped including these extra quarts of oil in its free maintenance plan. All three of my modern BMWs have needed a few quarts added here and there, when I had a 2007 328i these quarts were always free but a few years ago my dealer told me I would have to pay for them. A quart is only like $6 so I don't really care, but I know more than a couple people who refuse to pay and I wonder if the people with blown S85/S65 motors due to spun bearings were letting their oil levels get a little low. A benefit of this shorter oil change interval is less chance for the average driver's motor to burn off enough oil for it to become a problem.

This isn't really related but it looks like they recommend changing spark plugs every 60k miles for all cars, it seems like everyone agrees that a tuned motor running extra boost needs its spark plugs replaced sooner (maybe 30-40k) so shouldn't the 335is have a shorter spark plug change interval? It's running literally twice as much boost as a regular N54 (14.5psi vs 7)
Appreciate 0