sajakh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
I don't think they'll put a V12 in the next M5
The current V10 is an itty-bitty V10 at only 5.0 liters.
MANY, MANY V8's are larger than that. If anything they'll just bump up the displacement to say 5.2-5.4 liters and push out 550 hp.

But what BMW really needs to do with the M division is concentrate on weight loss.

With the TT engines going into non-M cars and the tunability of them to easily match the M-cars power outputs, what BMW can do is drop the weight of the M cars.

That means aluminum chassis. Sure it's expensive, but it's something that non-M cars can't "upgrade" to in the aftermarket.
Can you imagine dropping 200-250+ pounds off the M5 or upcoming M3.

With model specific parts like (upgraded brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, seats, interior pieces, body panels, etc and with the high revving naturally aspirated motors that rev like race cars and sound killer, there is still lots of exclusivity to the M cars.
Next step IMHO, super strong aluminum chassis that drop the weight of the M cars by 200-250+ pounds.
Isn't the e60 series an aluminum chassis making it so close in weight to the e90/e92? If that's the case, why don't they do that for the e92 M3 and M6, which I don't believe is aluminum.
Appreciate 0