07-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludey View Post
That's awesome that he let you off. I find that if you have a clean record, they are likely to let you off the hook. That is, of course, if you are polite and respectful. Of course, that doesn't always work... stoooory tiiiime.

About 1 year ago, on lunch, driving back to the office in my 2009 M3. I wasn't even "having fun" - some dude was doing 20 mph on the on-ramp to a highway where everyone goes 80+. I, of course, put my foot all the way down, and ran second gear to redline as soon as I hit the highway. The pass around the idiot I did legally, if perhaps on the aggressive side. This happened to be where the work zone signs were posted (although no actual working in that area) and there happened to be an officer in traffic behind where I merged. I respectfully explained the situation and that did little to persuade this particular state official. He put my statements on the ticket as if I was admitting to it. In that little description area, he put something else quite odd.. said something like "white male in a black BMW..." which I found very out of the ordinary. Ended up w 80 in 55 WORK ZONE. :facepalm: Oh well, I was certainly in the wrong here, and I called a traffic attorney less than 5 minutes after getting the ticket. Got it reduced to 9 over and most importantly, no insurance points.
It's not out of the ordinary. Sometimes we make notes on the citation (..or in my case, a small notepad that I carry around in my patrol car) so that we can remember a particular citation in case it gets challenged in court. These small reminders will jog our memories.
Appreciate 1