04-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #85
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
I noticed you bought a 5er GT. There's a reason for that. You could have bought a Benz or a Volvo, but you didn't. I'm going to guess you bought the 5er GT because it's a better car. There's a reason for that.
If you're inferring that I bought a BMW because MB and Volvo make trucks as well, you're way out of there...I bought the BMW because I fit in it (the only sedan in MB I fit was an S-series...way too much money and not as flexible as the GT with the hatchback and the Volvos just don't fit right, either). I fit, primarily because it is built on the 7-series chassis. Forget the SUV and other bigger vehicles...I'd rather have a sedan.

The average American is WAY too caught up in perceptions and preconceived notions. People elsewhere just look at the car, if it meets their need, they don't generally care what others think about it (there will always be some that are looking to one-up their neighbors, but I'm talking about the average person). Elsewhere, brands like BMW and MB are considered high quality, but not necessarily luxury brands, since much of what is standard in the USA (leather, bigger motors, power this and that) are all optional...IOW, you can buy a car that looks the same on the outside, and sometimes get it for a major amount less than what it is sold for here. The guts of the vehicle retain the same level of engineering, and thus handling, but may come with fabric seats that you have to manually adjust, etc.
Appreciate 0