View Single Post
      04-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #101
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Does that mean a 535i is laughable too? After all, you could get a M235i for significantly cheaper too. Despite this, I doubt anyone cross shops between the two.

Your logic, basically, makes no sense at all. The motor isn't the only factor in determining the price of a car.

In addition, by virtually every measurable performance and efficiency metric aside from "displacement" and "number of cylinders", the N20 beats out the old inline six engine it replaces. Despite that, it's "laughable". Sounds reasonable.
No, the N55 is sufficient in power to tow a 4300 LB car and has IMHO acceptable levels of NVH for a car of this class. The 4 banger NVH is a pure joke and it sounds like a diesel at low speeds and rpms. An M235i is considered a premium model and that engine is retuned for as a performance variant... but that is completely aside because at least for the US market, I would never offer a 528i... especially at the price point or with a 4 banger when its Mercedes E350 rival has an NA6 with more power and TQ. Everyone knows the 4 banger is a joke and brushes it aside for the badge.