mdss6
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (ZCP M-DCT) on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Did you ask the stand attendants to have a closer look?
They would have let you and shown you the features of the new car.
The Gran Tourer with extended wheelbase and seating for 7 will be unveiled in the next couple of months.
Hi, thanks. I did ask but was told it was not possible. I expected it would be towards the end of the show as things do tend to a little different at the start and finish. Anyway, do you have any suggestions on where to see one up close, before they are at dealerships that is? And thanks for the info about the 7 seater. I remember discussing 7 seating capacity with my colleague but don't remember if it was a critical feature. But he'll be interested to learn about both issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
There will be another innovation day later this year which will show (essentially the new 7er) and the areas of weight reduction. BMW have also previously confirmed through Research and Development chief Herbert Diess that a 730d will weigh the same as the current 520d F10 model and that the new 7er will be the most technically advanced BMW to date.
That is good news for the larger cars. Hopefully the shared architecture will allow the 3-series to also end up lighter than the current car? I like the size of the M235i (and would have loved a "Gran Coupe" version!) but I also find it disappointingly heavy, just like the 1-series before it. Sharing a platform with the 3-series (instead of a separate more optimized design), and using a few more steel (suspension) components to lower cost, resulted in the smaller cars weighing almost as much as the 3-series. I'm trying not to beat a dead horse, but that is another data point for my concern about the 3 being based on the architecture of the 7. Though I will gladly eat my words of concern about the 3-to-7 shared architecture if the CFRP-intensive next-generation 3 is 100 kg lighter than the F30. Thanks
Appreciate 0