View Single Post
      07-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #53
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Until you have the oil analyzed, you won't know if you're shortchanging yourself. I've checked on my previous vehicle, and running a not as good synthetic oil as BMW specifies in it, it easily went 12K and everything still tested out okay: viscosity, TBN, wear inhibitors, metals (low, indicating little wear). That car had a smaller sump and rev'ed MUCH faster on average on cruise, so if anything, the wear would have been higher. Oil technology evolves quite quickly, and today's oil is nothing like the older stuff. Traditions die hard.

The newer models all have start/stop technology (introduced I think in 2013 on some models), and pretty much across the board on all of the 2014 models. This stresses the engine a bit more, and may be the reason they dictate a shorter oil change interval.

At least my dealer has no problem changing the oil at 12-month intervals if you haven't driven enough to trigger the computer's logic. Most of the synthetic oil suppliers say one year or some max mileage, whichever comes first. This is even more important if you DON'T drive much, as that means you may have more short trips, condensation, or other means of polluting the oil. The inhibitors can only do so much and you burn off the moisture and some of the bad stuff when you drive awhile after reaching full operating temperature which may not be met on short trips.
Appreciate 0