View Single Post
      07-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #59
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Jesus Christ, this isn't about you; it's about BMW. The original M3 was not much more expensive than a regular 3-series, but was more of a pure sports car than the regular 3-series. The M Brand now includes SUVs and M-brand packages that are nothing more than dress-up/aero packages. That is why BMW has forgotten what an M car is. You must not be old enough to understand. The M3 is now 100% more expensive than the regular 3. BMW has over exposed the f'ing M-brand, get it?
You quoted my post and then proceed on about pricing that has nothing to do with how M makes cars. You mentioned nothing about SUV's or overexposure, how dense are you? Also, where did I say this is about me? You quoted me with a random comment that has nothing to do with even your own argument and then get mad at me for asking what you're talking about? Saying the price difference between a regular 3 series and an M3 has nothing to do with BMW not knowing what an M car is, unless you're suggesting the price difference is a key component of M cars. I do remember when there weren't M-sport packages so try that age card nonsense with someone else, that doesn't mean I have to think the newer M3s aren't M cars.

Once again, I'll pose you the same question I did the other poster who made the same argument. Do you not consider the new M4/3 real M cars? That's what they do, they make track capable cars from regular series cars. Regardless of whether you like the SUVs or M-sport packages, unless you're saying all their current cars aren't real M cars then they certainly know what a real M car is. If you define an M car by non-proliferation of the name and focus entirely on non-SUV's then that's certainly your opinion. I simply disagree those things are the only defining traits of M and as long as they make a true M3 then BMW still knows what an M car is.

Also, the original M3 was a homogolation special, of course it was going to be more different than successive M3's. It was certainly the most raw and drove like it.

Last edited by tallshortguy; 07-20-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0