View Single Post
      07-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #61
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay, not that I really care much about this subject so I'll expend just a few more joules of energy on it. I had to use your post as the basis of my statement, it wouldn't have made any sense if I had just made such a post; it wasn't personal attack. The M-brand has become just that, a Brand. It's a brand within a brand to allow Roundel-hounds who never really have appreciated BMW for what BMW was, now have a sub-sect status-symbol in what has already become status symbol, to show how cool they are that they can afford and even more exepensive BMW; which they'll still never appreciate other than the sticker price. I never said a current M3 isn't an "M car". I've said the M division doesn't stand what it originally stood for (i.e. BMW forgot); it'd be nice if it still did. Nothing I say will make you happy, so stop trying to get there. It really wasn't a personal attack, just my opinion about BMW (shared by others obviously). Stop taking offense to any of this, its just cars and opinions about cars. Relax.
Looks like you plenty care to me Where did I take personal offense? I was confused that you seemed to get angry at me for asking for post clarification. You never mentioned anything about price nor did you previously elaborate before responding with a post about the price difference of current M and regular series cars. It was not even framed in such a context as you suggested, since you posed a question "I thought every BMW enthusiast knew this?" as if I already spoke on the subject.

I asked you to explain why BMW no longer understands what M is, which you did in your opinion which is certainly fine. I simply don't agree, (shared by others obviously), which is part of the debate. I never expected you to say something that would "make me happy", just a debate on cars.

M originally stood for motorsports and their road going cars are what their touring car efforts would be linked to, that's what they still do and so I, like many others, believe they fully know what M stands and has stood for.

Last edited by tallshortguy; 07-21-2014 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0