tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
Where's monkey brains?

Apparently in China, they have a rare, and illegal delicacy that involves taking a live monkey (the small kinds), tying them down to a table by their limbs, trimming their skull caps off to expose the brain, then eating the brain while they're alive. Before eating the brain, they pour a special sauce on the monkey's brain and stir it up with an eating utensil which causes the monkey to freak out. This dish supposedly costs a few grand to try out. I want to see a video of this.
There's a ton of stuff some Chinese person will eat that the rest of us mostly wouldn't. They have this thing called "birds nest." I've seen it as a soup. It's very expensive, even by Western standards. I've seen it appear on Chinese menus priced from 500RMB to 2300RMB. (1 USD = 6 RMB) It comes in red and white varieties. Essentially, it's bird spit. It tastes similar to tapioca and isn't hard to eat, it's a beautiful dish when presented to you, but it's weird. Given that it tastes like tapioca, and the whole fertility/aphrodisiac aspect is little more than hocus-pocus to me, I'll stick with tapioca.

Most of the time in China, I only eat pretty conventional ingredients. Occasionally, the presentation is unexpected, but aside from chou-doufu, not once in three years has the taste been bad. In fact, China is one place about which I can say that the food is outstandingly fresh and good tasting at all price points and levels of refinement. That's also so in India to be honest. I guess really that would have to be the case for any culture that's got 2000+ years of experience with feeding people. Times change; taste buds don't.

BTW, let's hope the monkey brains are inside the monkeys' heads.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 08-19-2013 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: added the BTW comment.
Appreciate 0