View Single Post
      09-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #33
davjo68
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Sport Sedan

Very sad story, but I'm not sure this wasn't a malfunction, at least my car doesn't work this way, thogh maybe that's not the case with older models of the 3 series. I just tried this in my F30 335i and was able to unlock the door (tried in both driver's seat and rear passenger seat) by simply pulling the door handle twice. The alarm did go off, but i wasn't trapped in the car. I also tried pressing the central locking button on the console, but that did not unlock any of the doors.

The following is stated in the manual for the F30 sedan:

Opening and closing: from the inside
Locking and unlocking
Pressing the buttons locks and unlocks the doors and the trunk lid when the front doors are closed, but they are not secured against theft.
The fuel filler flap remains unlocked.
Unlocking and opening
▷ Either unlock the doors together using the button for the central locking system and then pull the door handle above the armrest or
▷ Pull the door opener twice individually on each door: the first time unlocks the door, the second time opens it.

A few years ago I did get "trapped" in an E90 whose central locking system was malfunctioning and had to crawl through an open window (car was running so windows could be opened, not the same situation as what happened in the the story) to exit the vehicle. The central locking button did nothing even with the car running and the door handles also didn't unlock the doors even when pulled multiple times, so I can only imagine what this girl went through. Wish she could have broken a window or got the attention of someone outside the car to help her.
Appreciate 0