View Single Post
      04-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #36
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
LOL, dude, did you realize that in 1 fell swoop you managed to diss "95%" of the posters here? All I gotta say is "brown knit" tie? Srsly? I guess it's alright if you wanna look like Mr Bean...or going to an 80s retro party.
I don't understand why it's a diss to point out that most people here don't know how to properly wear suits based on their comments. It's not like it's a huge deal nowadays, it's a lot less necessary and prevalent than it used to be so it follows that less people would be well versed in business-wear. It's a car forum, not a suit forum - not sure why you'd even expect people to be familiar with suits here?

If you actually read my post you'll see that I pointed that out. But that doesn't change the fact that there are established "guidelines" and "rules" about what is considered appropriate or not. That's why I gave two answers - a technical one and a practical one.

Dressing for an interview is simple. You want to appear well put together and well groomed, but not too flashy or sloppy. The entire point is to appear competent but not showing off. Whether you like it or not, things like peak lapels, french cuffs, overly skinny or wide lapels, etc, are considered "flashier" than a normal business suit. Does it actually matter in practice? Maybe not - depends where you work. On the east coast, if you work in the financial world than YES it matters. On the west coast, it's more relaxed. All depends on the context.

Your comment about knit ties indicates that you have a low level of familiarity with wearing a suit. There are tons of different types of knits, including silk grenadines, etc, and most of them don't look like Mr. Bean ties.
Appreciate 0