BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
First, clearly a tragic accident.

Why do we see it differently? We clearly come from different perspectives of understanding a design feature and/or who takes responsibility for our actions.

From my perspective a total lockdown is for car security, well documented and not uncommon here in the UK. We had a massive campaign over here for added security a few years back, due to the high amount of car theft, "deadlocking" was a design feature in preventing theft. Welcomed by many like the insurance companies, customers, and a selling point for added car security. If it is not 100% then it is a joke and not an effective system. Can't have it both ways, if you can override it, it is not a security feature.

Then there is personal responsibility, and common sense. I've left and locked passengers in the car over the years, but leave the key with them, even if not locking the car, show them how to get out, lock the car, open windows, etc., in case they need to get out, leave the car, etc. To me that is just part of common sense and taking responsibility. Some of us live that way, as we would for other facets of our life, like looking after our own health.

I sense there are a lot of folks who don't think ahead and if it all goes wrong look to pass the blame. (Like many smokers and heavy drinkers, asking "why me?" when it all goes to wrong). That sort of person see things totally different than I do.

HighlandPete
Very well put. The deadlock feature has been available for decades. My E28s, E34s and E32s all have/had it, though you had to intentionally activate it by turning the key to the second detent in the tumbler. It is one of the most effective theft deterrents out there for the reasons I noted in my previous post.

As you've noted, with everything in life, a level of personal responsibility and common sense is essential. Everyone immediately blames the design because it doesn't suit them. But for every person who doesn't like something, there's another who does. I always take the time to fully understand whatever it is I'm using because I'm responsible for whatever outcome might result from my using it. To me, this is common sense. However, Voltaire understood centuries ago that "Common sense is not so common." This isn't necessarily meant to be derogatory, but rather to state the obvious that not everyone thinks the same way.

Yes this was an older car. Yes the owner/driver was young. But again, it's imperative you understand how something works 100% before you use it. All manufacturer's have quirks that are not common among others. For example, for all of those who've questioned why the girl didn't just blow the horn, the horn is not powered in a BMW if the ignition is not energized. Been this way for decades.

Perhaps if nothing else, this will motivate everyone who reads this thread to take the initiative to read their manuals and fully understand ALL of the features of their beloved cars.

Finally, don't ever, under any circumstances lock any person in ANY car without providing them with the keys and/or opening the windows for them. This should be common sense, but perhaps it's not.
Appreciate 0