10-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Petroff View Post
You can clearly see BMW is very short on money to compete with VAG. Audi is thinking of bringing significant weight loss to it's humble regular models whereas BMW can't afford a CF roof for the M5 (considering that the M3 has it.). BMW is pulling a Honda, once a ruthlessly engineering driven brand, now positioning itself as some Hippy car brand with hybrids and failing. Loss of focus = brand death.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but Audi has had a bunch of porkers for years, so being capable of losing weight isn't a huge deal. BMW has been reasonably responsible about watching weight, so it stands to reason that it would take more of an effort to drop weight.

As for plastic roofs, I think the bigger issue is that folks buying a $100k, 4000+ pound car aren't concerned with losing 8 pounds from the roof and they want their sunroof. I'd also imagine that BMW has dealt with a few warranty claims on those non-painted carbon roofs and will likely be painting them in the future, negating some of the minimal weight savings.

If you wanted to see M cars lose weight, look at the stupid marketing fluff that's there that hacks think of as M-specific. Fake side vents, fake air inlets on the hood, fake quad exhaust, heavy wheels etc.
Appreciate 0