View Single Post
      05-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #159
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

First let me say I am not trying to cross link or post to an another site for promotion- there is just no feasible way for me to re-write with diagrams the explanation of the new CCM in the turbo ///M V8 effectively while explaining the future as BMW sees it.

Description of the new ///M V8

How this pertains to this post is simple- read between the lines of what it states in the break down of this motor. There will be future offerings using this motor and the tech in it.

There are two methods being explored for the next M3 (the M5/M6 will be similar to the current turbo with some changes in power delivery etc. from what I gather)

The V6 is one option that is being tested with a CCM though it is said to be less refined then BMW would like, the other option is an inline 6 with another new way of plumbing the turbos- it will also be a radical departure from current ideas of inline 6s

BMW is actually quite opposed to the V6 as Audi and their parasitic supercharger will be heading to market soon and they see it as a cheap/cost gap solution which they can share with all the other VW brands; BMW wants no part of even being mentioned in such light so that is why unless the BMW CCM V6 is a far superior product than the other options they will not do it.

The reason for the FI is because there is no other way for BMW to get emissions even lower and produce the needed power/weight ratio. Even with making cars lighter it will be difficult.

We shall all see though...