05-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
I disagree on these points. Perhaps his chest is lagging compared to the rest of his body? While I agree that there is no such thing as spot treatment for losing fat (crunches will not get you a 6-pack), there's nothing wrong with working certain muscle groups harder than others.
The guy is 140 and 5 foot 10. Clearly doesn't lift very much. Granted he may be a runner but that still validates my point that he clearly does not have much of a bodybuilding background. I agree that there is no problem with "emphasizing" a certain body part but you cannot cut it out completely. Your back and shoulders are two massive muscle groups. No way coming from a powerlifting experience can you think that dropping them out is sufficient. Doing so will almost 100% lead to problems.

If you want to emphasize chest and you have the time for a 4 day split. I would recommend the following:

1) Mon: Chest/back: flat/incline/flies and superset at least two of those with some form of pullups (wide grip, military grip, chin up etc...)

2) Tues: Legs: do a crossfit type of leg workout. I have knee and sciatica issues so I have moved from squatting and deadlifting to a lightweight cardiovascular leg workout

3) Wed: Arms: Arm days are retarded but I see that it is a priority for you. Two exercises to get big bis/tris are straight bar curls and weighted dips

4) thurs: rest or other activity

5) Fri: Chest/Shoulders: Some of my best gains are when I do a two day a week chest routine. One day is heavy weight with less reps (mon) and the other day is lighter weight with explosive reps. I recommend doing a shoulder workout that does not focus on the front delt (used when benching) and rather do front raises, high rows, rear delt rows (google it if you don't know what i'm talking about) and lateral raises. At the end of the workout do different variations upon flat or incline bench (negatives, speed reps, drop sets etc...)

6 and 7) rest and or misc activity days.

Hope this helps man.

Last edited by pgviper; 05-29-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0