10-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
I have no issue with choice, but with dilution of brand. BMW is riding a fine line between being the BMW the current owners know and the mass market diluted BMW of the future.
The current BMW is the diluted BMW of the future. People bitched about dilution when the X5 was launched, then the X3, and the 1 series. BMW has to respond to the market movements, not the ideals of enthusiasts. And sorry, I know it sounds like I rag on Americans a lot, but the idea of the "current owner" in America simply doesn't represent the global demand. BMW is seen as a premium brand possibly more by people in the US than anywhere else, but as far as I can tell, they are more obtainable in the US than anywhere else.

Quote:
The same concern most have with the new FWD models and below 3-series slotting.
Peoples concerns over front wheel drive seem to be more reactionary than based on any real reason. I'll admit it will be a big shame if the 1 series hatches go FWD, but this doesn't spell the end of the brand as we know it... and let's be honest, enough people eschew RWD for xDrive already - and it's not like FWD is actually that bad... plenty of FWD cars handle quite well, and most of BMW's competition has been utilising FWD for their models for decades, whilst at the same time closing the gap in handling dynamics on BMW.

Quote:
Meanwhile, other brands like Porsche are unashamedly moving in the opposite direction - refusing to dilute or lower the brand for easier access of new buyers.
Porsche introduced the Boxster and Cayman to make the brand more accessible, granted they didn't detract from what the company was about, they did that with the Panamera, and the Cayenne... which they've now introduced a more affordable version of (the Macan), and persistent rumours of the Pa-jun to make Porsche more affordable to 5 series owners.

Quote:
And the method isn't hard to understand either - if you want to move up in the global scale, you have to change something. However, unlike GM, Ford, and others, BMW doesn't have a lower, mainstream brand (other than Mini) to increase global consumption. So they are left with their only brand to do so, the Roundel.
Interesting that you speak of Ford and GM, but truth be told, the biggest issue for BMW is the Volkswagen group. The breadth and scope of the available platforms, technology and brands mean VW can do pretty much whatever they want - for BMW this poses a problem because of Audi. Audi can easily afford the R8, and rumoured hypercar, because of intercompany relations (Porshce, Lambo even Bugatti), they can also ensure they are profitable at the same time with the A1 and A3 because of the Polo, Golf, Jetta etc. For BMW to compete with this they have to take the same opportunity with MINI, and that means platform sharing, and yes... front wheel drive. VW is a behemoth, that's grown to the size it did because of state protection of it's shares... BMW are not so fortunate, and it's not a surprise BMW have teamed with Toyota because, despite brand perceptions, Toyota have been about the only company in the past sound enough to take on VW's might.

Quote:
And the GT versus Gran Coupe denotes the confusing methodology being employed to note differences in models in the line up.
Perhaps the naming strategy could be clearer (GTvsGC), but I believe there is a sound basis for both GT's and Gran Coupes to exist, and that they appeal to different demographics. On paper it is hard to explain why both exists.. but if you are a potential buyer and visit a dealership with your own unique set of wants and needs, I believe the differences are crystal clear.

Quote:
As for X4/X6 - I know they are love/hate vehicles. Those who own em, love em for the reason they bought them (whatever their reasons are). I just stated that I don't get them. For the price, there are so many other vehicles with more power, more style, more utility, etc etc, even in the BMW line up. But they appeal somewhere to someone. I do think that the fact that other auto-makers have not followed suit shows something lacking in market research. Either BMW knows something that no other maker does, or after researching, all the other automakers did not feel there was enough return on the investment to bother.
Okay, fine, if you don't like them then I have no problem with that. But they have sold, nearly 250,000 of them... and the X4 is bound to add to that tally very quickly. And just as a note, the smaller engined X4's weight LESS than the M4 convertible.... I've never understood the appeal behind ragtops at all... but yet their purpose is never questioned as heavily.

If you require competing models to validate a decision, then I'd point you towards the Mercedes MLC and the Audi Q6/Q8

Quote:
And I do blame my "narrow-minded countrymen" for the lack of wagon or estate options in the US. The US is FAR too fascinated with the SUV when 95% of our SUVs never see off road conditions beyond a dirt/gravel lot. But now its become a size / status problem that is far too out of control. SUVs raised the need for new safety standards as the vehicles are not driven the way they were intended. But this is a completely different discussion.
I think this is very true, I think to a point it's true in a lot of places, but the premium people in some countries end up paying to drive/own them is a good deterrent.
Appreciate 0