View Single Post
      02-22-2024, 10:40 AM   #26
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
For me it was all about ergonomics. After sitting in so many modern cars where things just fall into hand and are easy to see/use, driving the old cars with huge steering wheels, bouncy seats, glare on everything, and just terrible response (not to mention slow), I just couldn't bring myself to like the experience. I was sad over it for about 3 minutes, then I remembered I had a Lotus Exige sitting at home.

My first car was an '84 RX-7, then I had an '86 MR-2, both of which I sorely miss, but I'm tiny, so those cars fit me perfectly.
I had a 1985 Mazda RX7 for like a year, and I loved that car. And I ain't a small dude, but I fit. It would still be a fun car to own and toss around today, just not for a long drive.

I also had a 1990 Nissan 300ZX Turbo, another car I loved, and drove it until it died at 400,000+ miles, with its original engine and turbos.

I currently have a 2013 M3 convertible with the small, high-revving V8 (bought in 2017 with 35,000 miles), and I will also keep this car and drive it for a longgg time. It already has 150,000 miles. It came with just enough tech that I don't long for anything when driving it. And it feels analog, like it's from a different generation of BMWs (and it is). I really like it. It's basically my daily driver. And it simply feels raw, yet still refined.

I'm saving for a GT3, and a 991.1 or 991.2 would be fine. I've been in both, and in similar fashion, they feel analog, yet refined. And the 997 feels even more raw than the 991s.

I like new car tech, efficiency and performance...but for pure driving joy, in many cases I prefer cars from a few generations past where cars were designed for the enthusiasts to feel more immersed in the art of driving.

Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13937.50