09-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #125
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Every few months a post like this pops up, and everyone starts complaining all over again.

And, again, I'll ask that the neigh sayers go drive a Mini (if they haven't already) and report how "terrible" the car performed.

Mini = FWD
Mini = BMW
Mini = Fantastic

Therefore, a FWD BMW should be Fantastic.

GET OVER IT!

Claiming to run off to another MFG because of something that hasn't even been produced yet just shows how much of a "fair weather fan" you are. BMW will do just fine with or without you.

I, myself, am hoping to snag an m2 GC or an M235i GC (if they make either model) as it should be e46 sized and perfect for the next 10+ years for me. That car is at least 2 years out, I'm at least 5 years from purchasing one, I will keep it for about 10 years, so who knows what BMW will be producing (or not producing) after that. I should be quite aged at that point, probably ready for a 4er GC, a 6er GC or an SAV.
Okay, so lets get real with this. I've driven both the 1st gen Mini and the 2nd gen Mini. The 1st Gen Mini IMO handles better than the 2nd Gen. BMW of Germany didn't design the 1st Gen New Mini, Rover essentially did. BMW acquired the Rover Group in 1994 and the Rover Group designed the 1st Gen New Mini. BMW broke apart Rover and kept Mini. If anything, BMW bought Rover (and Mini) for the intellectual property it had related to front drive architecture and SUVs. BMW has learned from Mini about how to design and build a good front-drive architecture, not the other way around. Sure, BMW injected some of the sportiness into the original New Mini design (back in the days when BMW actually still made sport sedans), but it can't be said the New Mini is a pure BMW design in the same light as a 3-Series is. The Mini still doesn't have a pure-BMW designed engine architecture; the first engine was co-developed with Chrysler (until MB bought Chrysler) and the current motor was a co-development with Peugeot (it's basically a Peugeot block and internals with BMW's valvetronic added on top. Mini was the pioneer of small, well-packaged, front-drive economy cars.
Appreciate 0