View Single Post
      03-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

The problem is that BMWs are status symbols. A lot of people who buy them do it because they're viewed as sporty high performance cars, and are told by the salesperson that nothing can touch them.

When I was in my Cobra, I got it ALL the time from M3s and M5s. They'd try to race, reving the engine, often giving the thumbs down or saying taunting things. Occasionally I'd oblidge, and generally put a half dozen or more car lengths on them by 60 mph, at which point I'd stop accelerating. At this point, I usually got a fly by with a middle finger out the window, and on the occasion I'd pull up next to them at the next light, they'd either be frowning, looking straight ahead, or shout some ricer excuse at me, or tell me that they would have passed me by 120mph, because their car is built for the autobahn!

It's not all BMW drivers, but I think BMWs tend to get a higher quantity of pricks in a relatively high performance car than other makes. Since most BMW buyers are buying for status, and a lot of them are midlife crisis guys who want something fast and german, they end up in top of the line non-Ms, or M cars. At this point, encouraged by their SA, they think they're in God's gift to driving.

Interestingly enough, I've never run into a prick BMW driver in a modified BMW. My opinion is the impression of BMW drivers being pricks comes from the vastly differing motives for purchase of enthusiast vs non-enthusiast drivers.
Appreciate 0