View Single Post
      08-03-2023, 11:49 AM   #37
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
There's a bit of contradiction between people saying student loans shouldn't be forgiven, but the cost of higher education should be brought under control. No matter what you do, someone gets screwed, and you can't fix things for everybody.

If you bring the cost of education down for future generations, what about the previous generations who had to pay egregious costs - is literally the same logic as the argument people are making about "well if student loans are forgiven then people who had to pay their own way through school should also be compensated".

Reality is, life isn't fair. You try and make it better going forward through progress, whatever that cost might be. What we SHOULD be doing is evaluating what's best for the economy (and as an extension, the people) going forward - not what's the most "fair". Sometimes what's most fair isn't what's best.

I'm not specifically for or against student loan forgiveness, and I think having a hardline view one way or another is very near sighted. I'm for what needs to be done to ensure we don't spiral into a deep economic crisis. People can bitch and moan about large banks getting bailouts, but at the end of the day what was the alternative? Let them fail and send the economy into freefall? Likewise, if student loan forgiveness is what's best for us all going forward, then I'm all for it - even if that means some people's feelings get hurt. That's irrespective of the need for better awareness behind financial accountability - I think that's a given to minimize future screw ups.

Ideally everyone would make enough money to pay off their student loans without causing strain on their financial situation or preventing them from following desired paths in life. The reality isn't quite so rosy - and it's wrapped up in decades of misinformation, lack of knowledge, accountability, and downright deceit. We can always aim for the ideal and put practices in place to help get us there, but we need to be able to deal with reality without saying, "tough luck you did this to yourself".

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
jmack550.00
Bingham276.00