View Single Post
      02-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

This could really turn into a very long reply so I'll try to keep it short...

Definitely stop the running if you want to gain muscle. Like DieselDamo and ruscoupe said walk on a treadmill or some other type of low impact cardio. If you are concerned with burning fat then on your run days do sprint work instead of running long distance. Sprinting is a good way to burn fat and minimize muscle loss.

As far as your workouts... you are doing too many boday parts in a day. How long does it take you to work out three body parts in one gym session? Either you are spending a long time in the gym and over training or you are not spending enough time on each body part. You should not be lifting weights for more than an hour, maybe an hour and a half at the very most. Again like ruscoupe said we all gain and lose in different ways. So what may work for me may not work for you. But I would say keep it to two body parts or less each day. When I want to gain muscle (in the winter months) I work out one body part per day and absolutely kill that body part. So an example is

Mon - Back
Tues - Chest
Wed - Legs (heavy quads light hamstrings)
Thur - Shoulders
Fri - Bi and tri
Sat - Legs (heavy hamstrings light quads)

If you don't want to work out 6 days a week then do chest in back on the same day and alternate body parts. So do one set of chest and then one set of back and repeat. You may ask why two days of legs? Working out your legs is essential to build muscle naturally. Your legs are the largest muscles in your body and to repair your leg muscles your body has to release a large amount of HGH and test. This helps stimulate muslce growth throughout your entire body. You may notice when you have a killer leg workout you wake up the next day and feel tight. This is cause your body has released a large amount of hormones while you were sleeping to help repair the muscle tissue in your legs. But since your body can't specifically traget the muscles in our legs the hormones go to all your muscles. I also like doing chest and back on the same day for this same reason. Eventhough they are not as large as your legs together they are still a pretty large group of muscle.

Diet... If you want to gain muscle you're going to have to accept that you are going to gain weight. You have to put on some amount of weight to build muscle. I am not saying to go out and eat mcdonalds or pizza everyday, but you'll need to up your caloric intake. You can do this by simply adding another meal to your diet, an extra protien shake, etc...

Finally (and I will now shut my mouth/stop my hands from typing) I tell everyone who is curious about working out (gaining muscle or leaning out) do your homework. The internet is loaded with info. And just like mod'ing your car you wouldn't do something to your car without researching it first. A really good book for reference is The Men's Health Big Book of Exercises. It is 460 pages of exercises, workouts, meals, and diets. It's a really good source to look at when your in a rut.

Just my $.02

Last edited by BoostedE90; 02-16-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0