View Single Post
      10-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #48
late apex
No Guts - No Glory
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmcclane View Post
I would say most people, which are want a raw, sporty car from BMW that can be used for daily driving as well, want to hear the real engine sound and no active sound crap. I am not talking about posers and badge whores. I don't care if the ASD sounds good, if I only want a big heavy fast gran turismo car, I'd also take the M6, especially the Gran Coupe which are both very beautiful cars.

But when we are talking about the M3/4 and M2, there should be only real sound, these are the cars for the enthusiasts.

It's about the principle too, I will not accept this and turn it off anyway, but I want that BMW focus on real sound during the development. And I'm not the only one.

Most people don't know it so there's no problem for them, but if they would know, there would be one. It's ridiculous to say the car does sound so good when it's just recorded.

When we only got electric cars to choose from, then nobody will say anything against it, but now we are happily far away from that.
Will have to wait till we get a chance to experience the M4 to make final judgement, but considering it's using turbos it is likely not possible for BMW get enough real sound (while keeping out unwanted noise) into the cabin to satisfy many enthusiasts. I can't think of any new car with turbos that does.

I drove the MP4-12C and 458 back to back and I felt like the 12C was clearly the better performer, but lacked the 458's emotion from the NA V8. That said, I'd still purchase the 12C over the 458 because for me the performance makes up for whatever it gives away in exhaust note comparisons.

Who knows, maybe M4's performance and driving experience will be enough for you to overlook that it no longer produces the raw sound of a screaming NA V8.

BMW might have to develop a different solution that doesn't use the vehicle's speakers. As previously stated, a lot of manufacturers are now using sound generators but it seems BMW may get extra criticism because ASD produces recorded sound though the speakers. Maybe BMW chose that solution because it's easier/cheaper to control the sound ASD produces that way? The sound generators employed by other manufacturers may not be pre-recorded, but they're still amplifying and altering the sound so it's a stretch to say they're "real" sounds.
2010 Corvette ZR1 - sold

Last edited by late apex; 10-11-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0