10-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #51
jackmcclane
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
I don't want to insult anyone, but I would posit the type of enthusiast you're describing is actually such a small (as in tiny) percentage of buyers that BMW has no justification to build such a car.

Why is ASD different than all the cast wheels that end up on M's, or the plastic pieces affixed to make it 'look good', or any of the options that add weight with no return on performance, ...... ?

Don't you think that BMW doesn't look at what sells? Including how people configure their cars? Just take a look at many of the sigs of those responding to this thread.

Personally, I don't like ASD, so I turned if off. Very minor change, still plenty of engine sound to enjoy.

Pick your battles carefully: weight, handling and a much longer list of other things should be what you're talking about.
Maybe you're right and the group of this enthusiasts is too small. I don't know but like I said one post before "I think the most people don't know it and even doesn't notice it, because BMW implanted it so good. ...but if they would know, they wouldn't want it." So I think they sell it just because people don't know it.

Since a M car is no real sports car in my eyes like for example a 911 GT3, I've got no problem with some good looking plastic pieces or something like that. Except it's an fake air breather or an empty power dome... etc.

Yeah for sure there are some other even more important things than the ASD, but that's something myself and some others have a big problem with. If I can turn it off too on my next BMW, I'll do it. But when BMW takes only the easy way to get the sound, then we will hear almost nothing when it's turned off.
Appreciate 0