View Single Post
      09-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #202
late apex
No Guts - No Glory
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Pretty sure the car I suggested (carbon fiber tub sedan with N52) would get better fuel economy than an F30 335i-- much less bulk to drag around. And it would certainly be moving forward. My suggestion was not that they should live in the past, so much as it was that I wish they would continue to build cars to the same ideals they did 10 years ago. Either way, I don't expect BMW to do it-- they make more money selling more cars to non enthusiasts with their plan.

I am among the people very sad about the loss of 6mt in the GT3. The ultimate 911 for me is the 997.2 GT3 for sure. I am hoping they'll make a Cayman R(S?) with 6mt, as the cayman is a much better starting place than the 911 anyway. The 911 has gone soft/GT enough that they could probably justify the case for another segment for it these days.

Certainly there's still used BMW to be bought. Ten years from now, that's going to be a trickier situation. I wanted to get my wife an e46 3 series wagon, but they're all already pretty beat... so we're going to getting her an e91 instead. It's just not possible to get a used e46 in the condition I want anymore (at least in non Ms, plenty of M3 bubble cars around still). The hunt for a no idrive, no automatic, no awd, post facelift wagon is not a short one, however.

I don't even know how to respond to someone thinking an M6 is in its element on track. A video of it on the ring in no way proves anything (for that matter, the ring is a track unlike any other-- large/heavy/high power cars are way more in there element there than any other track).

I war responding to "But what you said today, about the F30 vs IS and ATS, well it's less about BMW and more about the competency of the competition."

I have lots of experience with the new cars. I've had them as loaners and have a friend that works at the local dealership, so I routinely borrow all of their new cars to play with.
I wasn't necessarily trying to say the M6 is a track car, just that it's track capable. Nobody in their right mind looking for a track car is purchasing an M6. But M6 owners can take their car to the track and it's not out of place... it'll perform just fine for 99% of drivers. Most people that own high performance track cars can't push them to the limit anyway... they have them for bragging rights.
2010 Corvette ZR1 - sold
Appreciate 0