United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i highly doubt that is the cause, as they likely don't add any stress to the fenders if installed correctly.
if this crack just started without any incident (like hitting a parking block), then check to see if the bumper is secured properly. there are about four bolts just above the kidney grills, and two hangers shaped like a "Y" hanging off the front frame that support most of the weight of the front bumper. if these are absesnt, the weight of the bumper could be contributing to the fenders cracking. you won't be able to see them without looking behind the fender liners.
FYI the hangers or the whole bottom are not necessary. Not using them will have zero effect on the bumper or engine temps. I stopped running the felt bottom 5 years ago and I live in LA where it’s hot as fuck. I have over 250,000 miles and at least 175,000 of them I had a GT3 lip with brake ducts. I believe what yourself and others have spoke of…..the front bumper got hung up on something. If it doesn’t crack there it cracks at the meeting point of the fender and front bumper where the two screws are. It could be plastic welded but the cost and work hours would be stupid. Just replace and repaint. Contrary to belief on this forum a good shop will match things perfectly. I have a jet black M and I’ve painted my rear/front bumpers, hood, doors and fenders as needed. Never once has anyone brought it up to me at car shows or even up to my 8th bimmerfest. If your cutting corners on the repair I bet the paint shop you choose will suck as well. Expect 600-1k for a shop that knows what the fuck they’re doing. However if you find a shop proficient in plastic welding please do share with us. I suspect this will be the way down the road if parts become hard to by or inflated in price.