10-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #16
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I have found that you can save money if you shop around every few years - I think (but am not certain) that insurers start to hike up your policy price slowly after a couple of years - even without a claim. That said, you have to make sure and get a company that will treat you well if you have a claim - many do not.
We've changed companies a couple of times to reduce our rates. Here in IL when you start in with a new insurance company, your previous record is irrelevant to them. I got nailed by a retread when I was with my first company (State Farm). They raised my deductible after that claim, so we moved to AAA and our rates went down considerably with no hike in deductibles. They Wifey got hit in the parking lot where she works. IL law says all parking lot accidents are 50/50, so her rates went up. We jumped again to Geico and we're back down where we were when we started with AAA. When I told my AAA agent to cancel the policy because I moved to Geico, he told me it was a good move and that after 6 months Wifey's accident would be off her record and we could come back to AAA. He promised me he could beat our Geico rate.

Seems more and more like a scam to me. They charge you what they think they can get away with.

That said, insurance here in downstate IL is way, way cheaper than it was in MA. I pay less than $900/yr for full coverage and 100/300 limits with tiny deductibles on 2 cars.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0