02-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #28
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
One more question BL. The drinkable yogurts say pasteurized farm milk from Lucky Leyla Farms. Is that necessary to make yogurt?

Why not just use the raw milk?
Honestly not sure about the issue with pasteurization and yogurt. I notice that Organic Pastures (a major raw dairy distributor in CA) does not offer yogurt. What I do know is that raw milk doesn't spoil. It goes sour. I think that provides the means to make your own yogurt although I have never tried nor I am equipped knowledge wise to advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeee View Post
I used to drink whole milk as a kid (pasteurized but whole), I've drunk fresh milk out of a cow, scooped the odd bit of grass from the bowl and enjoyed it immensely. The best was whole fresh cream, so thick you had to spoon it into your bowl or onto the pie , yum.
I've been lactose intolerant for about 15 years now so I can't enjoy it any more. As long as the place is licensed and maintains it's cleanliness I would useit (if I could)
I love raw cream as well.

With regards to lactose intolerance, raw milk has the enzyme lactase that breaks down the milk sugar lactose allowing for easy assimilation. This enzyme is inactive in pasteurized milk which once again leads to portions of the milk that the body cannot assimilate leading to GI issues. I had a few clients tell me they were lactose intolerant and handled raw milk just fine. Raw milk is nature's lactaid.

Lactose intolerance can be a by product of gluten intolerance due to atrophy of the villi in the small intestine. This means that gluten intolerance can cause the lactose intolerance. Something to consider.
Appreciate 0