View Single Post
      04-18-2024, 11:02 AM   #7865
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
In the weeds, but it's just Cali that has a limitation on how many percent of sales a ICE-Hybrid can be used to meet the Zero-Emissions mandate (by 2035). It's just 20%. The other 19 or so states that adopted Cali's CARB standards can choose whether or not to continue to be a CARB-Regulated state. Hopefully the other states citizens will begin to pay attention to what their Lawmakers are doing to their transportation choices and push back on CARB mandates.

Perhaps the pending EPA emissions regs proposed by the current administration will drive development of cleaner, more efficient ICE to power a true series hybrid. It won't happen in my driving lifetime, but I'd happily give up my manual transmission fettish for a true (pure) serial hybrid. I love the EV drivetrain from an engeering and energy usage perspective, I just think carrying around a huge, slow charging, heavy battery to power it is stupid.
That right there is the core of the issue. The heavier your vehicle, the MORE energy it's consuming. You can't cheat physics, and pulling from the grid isn't more efficient than what a hybrid can already deliver on today. Here in Maryland I have zero hope for sanity returning, but we only have a little over 3 years left here before we move on.
eugenebmw1571.50