09-19-2023, 08:46 AM   #30
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I'm a bit biased here, and obviously unpopular opinion around here, but I actually think it looks incredible. It has such a road presence with its aggressive looks. And for all the internet hate it gets, I've gotten nothing but positive attention (and boy does it get a lot of attention) out on the street. When I park it, I always do a look back and can't help but snap pictures of it.

As for steering feel - there's a few things you can do to mitigate some of that. If you go with the comp model, you can get a CSL tune which improves steering response. Personally I have the 6MT model - and I ended up replacing the front control arm bushings with a monoball kit. The stock bushings are clad in rubber which gives it deflection - makes it more "comfortable" but also makes it more numb. The monoball conversion eliminates the rubber, giving you much more direct and responsive steering with more feedback as well.

Yes it weighs a lot, but it's actually one of the lightest cars in its class. C63 and RS5 are both heavier. But the important thing is it doesn't FEEL heavy when you drive it. The driving dynamics are some of the best since the E46. The S58 is a gem of a motor and gives it a very naturally aspirated feel - the power builds progressively and predictably.

The ZF transmission is excellent. Yes it lacks the drama of the DCT, but the tuning of it still makes it very impressive. And going back to the CSL tune, that livens up the shifts as well to almost a DCT level. That being said, I opted for the 6MT because I wanted that extra bit of control. [...]
Fully agreed with everything you said! I also have a 6MT G80. The car has received nothing but praise from strangers. The road presence is undeniable. I was at the track this past weekend and so many people came over to check out the car and I had so many great conversations.