12-12-2014, 03:38 AM   #44
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Not what I said nor what I meant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Have you driven an i3? It's a total blast. Fastest car BMW makes for the stop light race. Certainly, other cars they make keep going with ultimate 0-60 or higher, but 0-30 in the city where you can't legally go much faster, it can beat ANY currently sold BMW (except maybe the i8). And, where I live, at 1/4 the price of gasoline. Certainly not for everyone, and not for every drive, but for what it is, it's fun and practical.

Whether you like it or not, the Feds have upped the ante, and unless you are willing to spend a very significant premium for your non-turbo, natural draft, high-power engine, this is where things are moving - hybrids and turbo-charging.
I have not driven the i-3, but throughly enjoyed driving the i8 which has both engines and I totally agree. By the way I think electric motors are very much engines of the future.

My point was an observation of what you have stated in your comment about the realities of the current era and its priorities. Where BMW has taken the lead in developing great cars with Eco/performnace credentials they have eaqually lost thier leadership and brilinace in engines that create drama and enthusim.

Please read my comment earlier about what has gone missing as result of chasing the new realities. I wonder if we will ever see brilliant engines like the V12 that made it into the McLaren F1, the V8 the went into the M3 or V10 that went into M5? Before you raise the issue of real world engineering; I miss the brilliance of the classic straight six that seems so heavy and muffled in the lastest generation of cars.

Again, BMW cheerleaders be aware, I am with you not against so take from a constructive point of view.
Appreciate 0