04-20-2024, 04:17 AM   #5
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksamit78 View Post
There is no such thing as specific "forum tested/approved different full headlight options". A lot of people purchase headlights from Ali. Do some research in "Cosmetic & Lighting Modifications" section of the forum. Be careful as to which version of wiring do you have as there three (3) different ones depending on how many pins are in the plug. The shape of the plug is the same. You will need to take a look at the wiring plugs connecting to your car's headlights.

Again, the DRL led modules are NOT inside the headlights - they are installed from outside (most of the times at the bottom) so that they can be replaced if LEDs burn out. BMW would not design headlights that require full replacement (thousands of dollars) for burnt DRL LEDs.

It is item #3 in the image:

The OEM boards come attached to Aluminum heat sinks that are required to dissipate the heat generated by the LEDs. Naturally, they can not be inside the headlights because of the cooling requirement.

Take a look at this pic of the Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlight from F32 (4 Series) car:

The heat sinks are aluminum with bunch of studs on them for improved cooling rate are at the bottom of the headlight.

The DRL LED modules/boards for the pre-LCI Adaptive Xenon headlights in your car are interchangeable with M4 and M3 of the same age:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=63117440879

So, THIS makes sense for you to purchase if you are locked onto BayOptiks:
https://bayoptiksca.com/products/f8x...lci-xenon-only

The supply list includes:
- Complete CSL Yellow DRL LED boards for left and right headlights
- Thermal conductive adhesive
It means that you'd have to remove the OEM boards off the heat sinks and glue-in the replacement ones from BayOptiks using the supplied adhesive.

On the same page it says "Note: Headlight removal is required to access the DRL modules at the bottom of the headlights" to confirm what I said - the LED modules are removable from outside of the headlights like in all other BMWs of the same model/generation.

I'd get full assemblies (including heat sinks) from Ali if I were you (I did that for my F34 GT with additional modifications) for a third of a price.

This would be my choice if I were you: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...Cquery_from%3A

At the end of the day it is your decision based on the knowledge of your car, your skill set and budget.

Good luck.
muchos arigatos. my apologies for being dumb. i just tripple checked and I have the pre LCI LED headlights apparently. this is showing as a no on the aliexpress site, and these are what i had originally told BayOptiks that I had when they replied "for the pre LCI LED headlights the DRL boards are internal and not accessible so it requires custom installation. You would need to ship us your headlights for the custom work". can you confirm this is correct for this type of headlight for trying to do yellow DRL's (please see my pic attached). thanks man!
Attached Images

Last edited by rusty_sojah; 04-20-2024 at 04:39 AM..
Appreciate 0