View Single Post
      04-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #27
BloodShed
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35past3 View Post
I disagree with you. The main reason for this is because if the window didn't lower it would keep rubbing the door seal, causing premature wear and tear. It has to raise into the door seal to form a tight bond to prevent excess cabin noise.
My previous car was a '92 Celica which had frameless door windows. I owned that car for about 9 years. It did not have indexed windows (this window sealing feature) and it never had wear on the seals. The way the seal works is the window is simply pressed against it. I'm not sure what "rubbing" you expect.

I would agree that cabin noise would be greatly helped. That's also part of the design. However, why would this feature bother sealing the window when the car is off? Cars without this feature are just as water-tight so there's no need unless the car is on. In fact, it might actually help the life of the window regulator (a common failure) if it only engaged when the car was turned on.

Anyway, there's plenty of benefits. I just had to comment because no one else mentioned it. If you don't agree/believe me, that's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35past3 View Post
The feature has nothing to do with security. A thief will either cut the door seal or just break your window.
It's just a deterrent. There's always a way for a thief to get around it. The goal is to add enough obstacles that the thief no longer finds it worth the time/risk or moves onto another, easier target. Breaking glass tends to attract immediate attention. If they're stealing the car, those windows are also worth money. There's no point breaking the glass when it only takes 5-10 seconds insert a wedge and pop the locks silently.
Appreciate 0