01-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #57
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Then you've never driven a Z4Mcoupe or have a really weird definition of a sports car.

The car handles extremely well
It's a 2 seater coupe
Utility is compromised for performance
Comfort is compromised for performance
The engine is very high performance
For a factory car it has very fitting seats
It looks flashy
It can be raced on a race track for hours and be fine

the list could go on, but these are things most people would use to define a sports car (not necessarily all by one person but from different peoples perspectives). It's as much of a sports car as a lotus Elise is. Just because it's not as fast as a ferrari 430 doesn't mean it's not a sports car. The rest of BMWs modern performance cars are GT cars.

First of all, saying the Z4 a sportscar doesn't necessarily make it so. And believe me, it does not give me any joy to have to make that clear. I'm a guy who drives a modified 1M that may very easily rip your MCoupe a new asshole on the track, but even I have to face the fact that my car is NOT a sports car either.

So let's review...
At core, a sports car is a no-compromise, purpose-dedicated speed racer.
2-seater. Hardtop. Designed with the most power and lightest weight possible.

Although the Z4 is "utility compromised," it is not sufficiently dedicated due to the fact that it is a convertible. The chassis is over-built to compensate for the lack of rigidity when the top is down. With exception of a few true hardtop MCoupes no longer in production, the Z4 on the market today, is not designed primarily for sports racing.

To go further, here is a list of cars that are also NOT sports cars by definition:

Audi TT
BMW Z4
Cadillac XLR
Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (corrected)
Dodge Viper Convertible (corrected)
Mercedes-Benz SLK
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Porsche Boxster

So here is my beef with BMW...

Although, the Porsche Boxster may not be a true sports car, the Porsche monicker has a plethora of other models that fit the bill well. If the Z4 is not a true sports car, then where is BMW's alternative offering? Nada. Nothing. Zilch. Zero.

I don't buy the argument either that creating a sports car would not be profitable. Just ask all of the nutty buyers out there who clamored to pay a premium over sticker to get their 1M.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)

Last edited by James T. Kirk; 01-04-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0